Hydrotherapy in Birmingham
Hydrotherapy is an excellent means of accelerating the return to work, or sport following a period of immobilisation.
Can be effective in treating:
- Back pain
- Joint stiffness
- Multiple joint problems
- Post-operative weakness
- Neurological weakness and muscle shortening
Advantages over land based physiotherapy:
- Water provides a low-gravity, stress free environment in which to exercise. Treatment following fracture is hence started much earlier than on land.
- Water assists movement, so even the weakest of muscles can be encouraged to work.
- More than one joint can be treated at the same time which provides a comprehensive approach to arthritic and neurological management.
- Return to sport and work is accelerated as exercise tolerance and general fitness is integrated into treatment regimes.
- Balance re-education in the elderly is facilitated without fear of injury from falling.
Prevention rather than cure:
- Conditions such as Osteoporosis benefit from hydrotherapy as an environment in which to exercise safely, strengthen bones and muscles hence reducing the likelihood of fractures.
- Exercise programmes are individualised to promote continued exercise after treatment has finished. This maximises the benefits gained from treatment.
- It is not necessary to be able to swim to gain the benefits of Hydrotherapy.
- The treatment is in a warm water pool (31-35 degrees) with your Hydrotherapist. Access is by steps, chair hoist or bed hoist, allowing all degrees of disability to enter/exit the pool.
Quality of Treatment:
- All Hydrotherapists are Chartered State registered Physiotherapists with specialist training in the field of Hydrotherapy.